The research activities pertaining to this area focus on (bottom-up) international relations in border areas, with a specific interest on:
- Monitoring and evaluation of cross-border cooperation;
- Design of institutions and cross-border services,
- Training of local authorities to cross-border cooperation;
- Study and sustainable development of border towns and sister cities;
- Study and impact assessment of the European Union (EU) enlargement process, European Territorial Cooperation (ETC), Adriatic Cross-border Cooperation Programme (IPA), European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI);
- European Group Territorial Cooperation (EGTC) and legal framework-specific financial;
- Study and design in the context of European regional policy.
- Identify key structural and relational dynamics that determine the effectiveness and efficiency of cross-border cooperation, institutional design, the evaluation of systems and subsystems, the development of future scenarios, processing and use of specific methods (i.e. SWOT CBC, Euroregional Analysis, Delphi).
- Enlargement / European Union (EU) Integration
- Negotiation techniques
- Peacekeeping / peace building
- Cross-border cooperation (CBC)
- European Territorial Cooperation (ETC)
- European Group of Territorial Cooperation (EGTC) and tools of Cross-border cooperation (CBC) of the Regions Committee (CoR)
- (CBC) and tools of Council of Europe (CoE)